Tuesday 30 July 2013

Why not lie??

Mark Twain once wrote "A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on it's shoes"

Lets face it, lying is so easy and convenient, that it's difficult not to tell a lie, what will you rather do?? You know, the truth is exhausting attimes, and complicated too, for instance; it's a lot easier to say "I won't come for the party because I caught the flu" than to say "I won't come for your party because I do not like you and I am 190% sure that it's not just gonna be boring as hell but also a complete waste of my precious, dearly beloved time", you see, now that is the truth.

I've read a few times where the writer says "I'd rather be hurt with the truth than be comforted with a lie" honestly, I think that's just bull. Sometimes the truth can kill, so you're telling me you'd rather die from the truth than just hear a simple lie that makes everything better?? I know I'm sounding weird, but it's fact.

Another reason people lie is to make other people feel better, going back to the last example, any human being is much more comfortable believing the first reason, it's simple "I cannot come because I am ill" and the response most times is - "oh ok, sorry about that makes sure to take drugs and keep yourself warm, take care of yourself, okay??", but the response to the other "I can't come cos I detest you", most times is heartbreak and a very likely "I hate you more, and I hope you get hit by an airplane" and before you know it, tantrums are flying all around and then you have two people that hate each other as against the initial one person that hates another, so wouldn't you rather avoid all that drama??

Another reason for lying is to protect ourselves and the people around us from the hurt and the pain that the truth may cause: in our example the truth may cause immense hurt "I am not coming to your party because I detest you" now, that could make a person intentionally swallow just enough matchboxes to get himself/herself killed, don't you think? So by lying we are actually protecting. Cool right??

That being said, fact is, honesty will always remain the best policy, in most cases, we're better off telling the truth. The earlier instance happens very rarely, lets face it, its not all the time that you hate a person so much. Even though the truth gets complicated attimes, its much better to stick with it as one lie almost always leads to another, except of course, if that lie is "I can't come to your party because I'm ill". But seriously, be honest.

Till next time,, Keep dreaming!!

4 comments:

Stephanie @ Life, Unexpectedly said...

I learned my lesson when I was a teenager and told a younger girl that her hair style looked awful (which it definitely did) and caught crap from all the adults for having been honest (after having been taught not to lie for a decade before that). Today I know, honesty is not everything, tact counts, too ;-)

Sidney said...

Lol Growing up is confusing.parents will always say their kids to tell the truth, but still some truth are hard to tell but its true and if u tell it, same parents will crucifi u, the dilemma of a little child.

Unknown said...

hahah. Precisely, honesty definitely is not everything.

Unknown said...

haha. A massive dilemma it really is.