Monday 6 May 2013

The 'National Cake' mentality.

I don't know about you guys, but I was recently awed (negatively) by a statement made by the National Auditor of the People's Democratic Party while he was at Ogun State (his state), endorsing our 'beloved'(or otherwise) president for a second term.

The man, Chief Adewole Adeyanju inferred that our Nation be referred to as 'Turn by Turn Nig. Ltd'. He said, "Today, our leader in the PDP is President and Commander-in-Chief of Armed Forces in Nigeria, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan. This man is from the South-South, the best thing we can do to sustain Nigeria is to take Nigeria turn-by-turn Nigeria limited. South-West has done two terms, South- South is there, and we should allow them to do two terms, that is how Nigeria can survive."
That statement is wrong on so many levels.
He was referring to the rotational policy that we engage in where a senatorial district has leadership for two tenures, and thus take their own share of the 'national cake'.

What I found fascinating at first, was that he said 'that is the way Nigeria can survive', therefore, if his leader, the president, loses in 2015, Nigeria will not survive?? What does that even mean??

And then I was struck by the other part of his statement which promoted the 'national cake' mentality.
How long do we continue to allow this plague of 'national cake' cripple our society??

I mean, qualification and track-record seem not to even matter or carry any weight anymore, an absolute idiot can be the president of Nigeria as long it's his senatorial district's turn to benefit from the 'national cake'. Does that make any sense to anyone? cos, it sounds stupid to me.

I don't even want to make any noise about the man who made the statement, I'm pretty sure he's not worth my thought. The problem I have is the statement he made. Should our leaders promote this absurd and archaic way of thinking?? What then is the point of having elections every 4 years? If we want to do it 'turn by turn' every president has 8 years, then there is no reason to waste money on national elections every 4 years, right??

I do not know too much about politics, to be honest, I don't even want to. What I know is, the earlier we get rid of this backwardness the better for us all.

Till next time,, Keep dreaming!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank God 4 u. I thot I was d only 1 dat heard it.